Tuesday, February 24, 2009

How Do You Do That?



Have you ever heard people talk about how children notice everything that you do? I have. My husband and I have talked about it too. We've seen how our kids have an amazing ability to pick up on something we said or did once and it becomes their favorite thing to do/say ALL THE TIME! It still amazes me how we can say something negative or bad and they hear it from across the house, but I can repeatedly ask them to do a simple task over and over again in the same room and it's as if they don't even hear.

Well, the same goes for our little quirks we do as parents. It's something how those little people become our little mirrors sometimes.

Here I am. I've been 'called out' by Lily. The other day she came up to me and asked me how I rolled my eyes. I told her that it isn't a good habit of mine and I really shouldn't be doing it. She then asked me if I could teach her to do it too. I tried to explain that it isn't something to be taught, it's just like whistling, one day you just figure out how to do it. I then re-emphasised how eye rolling REALLY is not something to learn to do and is actually a bad behavior and habit. She walked away and didn't ask again. I did catch her though today trying to roll her eyes and she even asked me if she was doing it right!! Ouch. I guess she figured she's ask the 'pro'!

I know eye rolling has become something I am quite good at and I'm sure after all these years I don't even know I'm doing it, but after this rude awakening with Miss Lily, I need to become very aware that I'm doing it and the message it is sending to her. I guess I've got a little project to work on during Lent now, don't I? It's funny how those things just drop right in your lap when you least expect them.

Here's to a LWER (Lent Without Eye Rolling)!!






No comments:

Post a Comment

You're so kind for dropping me a line!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...