Monday, January 19, 2009

What will we be doing tomorrow??


Last November, when my husband and I woke up the morning after Election Day, we braced ourselves for the results of the Presidential Election. I literally turned away from the computer screen as it powered up my news source on the web and I squinted as I slowly faced the computer...and reality. The results were tough to see and immediately I went into 'flight' mode, desiring to be far away (and even siting Canada as an alternative)from the media that day. Reed even tried going to work that day, but got down the road and came back home. We decided that we'd whisk our little family away, even if just for the day. We chose to drive 1 1/2 hours away and hit some outlets and mini malls (therapy for me) and find an activity that would be fun for the kids and something we could do as a fun family outing. It turned out that in that same area there was a Chuck E. Cheese and it served as a great place to get away and let the kids have fun for a few hours. I know, all of it, unrealistic. I knew then that one day I'd have to come face to face with the outcome of the election. One day in January, Inauguration Day would come and I'd have to face this historical moment.

Tomorrow is the Big Day. I've already pleaded with Reed to stay home and we can just run away again. Away from media. Away from reality. Please don't think that this is a common occurrence in our home. That's not how we deal with things. It's just that this election and all that hinged on it left me with a little less hope in my heart. I know that God can change hearts and minds and I believe that He will do that. I do fear though mostly for the little innocent ones who may be affected the most by this historical election.

I am still deciding what we will do tomorrow. I will be home with the kids tomorrow, but I don't know that the tv will be turned on in my home. Right now, I just don't think I can sit through the speech, the parade and all of the media coverage. The biased media coverage. I am torn. I know that this will be a historical moment that my children should witness and will serve as a good lesson on Presidency and citizenship. I'm just not sure that I can handle listening to it all, without sadness, without judgement, without anger.

For now, the plan for tomorrow will be the same as any other school day. We will follow our normal routine and go about our day. We will, however, also light a candle and pray for our great nation and its leadership. That may be all I can do. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

What will you be doing tomorrow?










No comments:

Post a Comment

You're so kind for dropping me a line!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...