Thursday, November 4, 2010

Mommy Matters: Infant Car Seats

We're in the market for a new infant car seat for baby. We had a Graco Snugride with our other two children and I saved it because it was in such good condition. I then found out that due to our lengthy wait on baby news, it was far beyond the suggested time for upgrading.

So, we've got some car seat shopping to do. It's not exactly the most fun thing to do in the grand scheme of baby preparation shopping, but it does come down to my child's safety so it's kind of important, right? Except, that when I'm looking at car seats it goes beyond safety. It becomes about carrying comfort, color, style and fabric. Oh, and price. We are talking about putting precious cargo in this little thing, but seriously I'm not gonna pay $300 for one of these! I'm more in the less than $125 range.

I'm also finding it difficult to find neutral/unisex fabrics in these car seats. Does everyone find out baby's gender before birth and buy a gender specific car seat?? Good gracious. And then there are just plain ones that have black or gray, but I'd like to have a little bit of color/style in the fabric. And of course there are themed ones (jungle, Pooh, animals, etc.) which I personally just don't care for. I also want to like (no, I don't need to LOVE it) the thing since I will be lugging it around for a while and hope to use it again for another child.

I think we've narrowed it down to either another Graco Snugride or the Baby Trend brand since they seem to fit all of my criteria.

Here are a couple I've found online that I kind of like, but am not particularly attached to:

Graco Snugride in Lively Dots


Baby Trend in Mesa



Hubby doesn't really have a preference in this sort of thing and will be fine with whatever I choose. I could use your suggestions.

I'm wondering if you have a favorite brand? What's worked for you? Any current deals out there you're aware of and can share?







5 comments:

  1. I've always been a Graco fan - car seats, strollers, high chairs, pack n plays, pretty much anything baby!

    We had a cute one that was sage green and cream plaid design, which worked well for boys and girls. Happy shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This time around we went with the Chicco KeyFit Infant car seat in Sahara. I liked that it fit babies as small as 4 lbs (we were at risk for a premature delivery and I wanted to be prepared) and it really is designed for infants. It was incredibly easy to install, the easiest I have ever installed and it took no time at all. With the stroller (which I also really like) we paid $230. And I love the colors of it.

    I learned with my daughter to go and try out the car seats, lug them around a bit and see which one is going to be the easiest :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not really a fan of our BabyTrend. The handle is very hard to put down! It drives me nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have loved our Graco Snugride. In fact, I just noticed yesterday that the fabric is worn & tearing so it may be time to chuck that bad boy after Twinkle is done.

    I'm looking at a Babies'R Us coupon booklet I just got in the mail with coupons for carseats. Let me know if you are interested. Otherwise, I'd just go to their website and sign up for their email/mailing list online. I get great coupons from them. Happy shopping:)

    PS-Do you need a new stroller as well? Usually when you buy the 2 together are cheaper than they are seperate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the polka dots!

    We like Graco too. If I have to shop again, though, I would look at Britax. That is what we choose for toddlers on up. Happy shopping!

    ReplyDelete

You're so kind for dropping me a line!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...