Monday, May 24, 2010

Are You Fatherless?



I've recently read an excellent novel and had to share it with you. The book Fatherless by Brian J. Gail was loaned to me by a friend, but I think we'll be purchasing our own copy. Reed is currently in the midst of it and we've both really gotten into it.

At 536 pages, it can appear a daunting conquest to finish, but definitely a page turner! I will admit that I had several chapters that were difficult to muddle through with all of the details, but I pressed on and breezed right through it.

Fatherless is considered a Catholic novel, but it does deliver so much more than that. The book takes place in the 1980's and is centered around Fr. John Sweeney and three families in his parish. The families come to Fr. Sweeney for moral direction and guidance.

Michael Burns, a marketing executive, has the opportunity for a new job within his company and a move to New York City in order to work with a small television network similar to HBO.

Joe Delgado, a CFO at a major pharmaceutical company, becomes aware of the reality of the biological damage of the birth control pill and its effects on thousands of women.

Lastly, Maggie Kealey struggles with migraines, a daughter with bipolar issues, an absent husband and the moral issue of taking birth control in order to ease the family tensions.

The characters become very realistic with so much at stake in the midst of each of their dilemmas. When the book title became revealed, it was a real eye-opener. Are you intrigued yet? I might suggest that it would be a wonderful summer-read.

You can find more reviews and information about the book at Fatherlessbook.com. You can order it directly from the publisher, Human Life International.

In an interview, Mr. Gail mentioned that he is working on the second part of the trilogy, Motherless, to be joined by part three, Childless. I cannot wait for these additions!



**This review was written solely for my blog readers and no goods or fees were exchanged.








5 comments:

  1. Sounds great! My dad's name is John Sweeney :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, you've gotten my intrigued. this sounds like a good read. i'll put it on my list of "to read." Thanks for this recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was JUST today looking for a new summer book! Thanks for the suggestion. I will be picking this one up!

    ReplyDelete

You're so kind for dropping me a line!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...