Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Summertime

Ah,the lazy days of summer. Although, not really here. Somehow we've managed to keep our calendar busy enough that summer is unfortunately, flying by quickly. A bit too quickly! There seems to be so many things I'd like to do yet. Trips (however small they may be due to the rising cost of gas!), projects and the on-going to-do list. Lots to accomplish yet and soon my garden will be in full-swing, which means more freezing and canning to do as well. Oh well, I do enjoy it all even though at times it leaves me with a lot to juggle at once.
Something that has made my life easier this summer is a quick and easy summer salad recipe I received from my sister in law. I can't count the number of times we've eaten it since the 4th of July when I first prepared it! I like to throw it together as a last minute addition to our main meal, especially at suppertime.

Here's the recipe:

Fresh Romaine lettuce or Spinach
1 cup Mandarin Oranges
1 cup Pecans or Walnuts
1 firm Banana


Mix up the lettuce, oranges and nuts. Add banana just before serving.

Dressing:
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vinegar
1 cup oil
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon celery seed

After mixing dressing ingred. you can put them in a squeezable bottle to serve dressing with salad or to save for a later serving.
Feel free to alter amounts of nuts, oranges or banana to your tastes.

Enjoy! I know this is quickly becoming our family favorite!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...