Friday, January 22, 2010

Simply Put, Good Book



Have you read Mitch Albom's latest, Have A Little Faith? I have been an on-and-off reader of Mitch's books over the last several years. Mitch has authored such books as Tuesdays with Morrie, The Five People You Meet In Heaven and For One More Day, all of which I have read.

His books are pretty simple reading and this mommy's brain appreciates that. As much as I try, I just can't get into those thick, heavy, mind-numbing, overly intellectual books. Sorry, just not me. I enjoy my simplistic nonfiction, thank you.

In Have A Little Faith, I was once again left with thought provoking intrigue as I continued through the book. It is the story of an eight year journey that the author shared with two very different men of different faiths and communities. A Rabbi and a reformed Christian Pastor. An African-American and a white man.

Asked by his childhood Rabbi to perform his eulogy when the time comes, the author begins spending a lot of time with the man to understand him better in order to perform the task laid before him. At the same time, near his current home, Mitch becomes involved with a Detroit pastor who ministers to the poor and homeless.

During the book as America begins to struggle, he finds that many are turning to their faith and beliefs. Although there are many differences in these two men and the faith they believe in and profess, Albom recognizes some of the unities that lie between them. In the end, he finally understands that what the men have been teaching him throughout this process is what he knew (and had forgotten) all along:

Believing in something much bigger than yourself brings profound comfort to those who simply, have a little faith.

I'd highly encourage this book if you are searching for an easy, quick-read and perhaps are looking for a small reminder of the strength and hope found in Faith.





2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I'll have to add this one to my library list. Happy weekend:)

    ReplyDelete

You're so kind for dropping me a line!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...