Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Sew Easy

Lily recently decided that she wanted to try her hand at a little sewing. I had her try a couple of buttons first just to give the needle and thread a whirl. We then ventured to the local library and found a book or two for her to peruse. We stumbled upon a simple and easy one for beginners that included a few patterns as well. It's all hand sewing, but right up her alley and ideal for her age level and just starting out.



She started with a basic pillow using some fabric and filler I had leftover at home. She'd been making her list on which future projects she wanted to advance to as well. We finally went to JoAnn's the other day to purchase the needed fabric for a hat for herself and a version for Gianna. Lily had already decided that a lightweight fleece that the pattern required probably wasn't enough for our Minnesota winter. Instead she thought it would be suitable and just right for our crisp fall weather and I agreed.

She worked hard the other day trying to perfectly space her stitches and she's been working hard on threading her needle and knots too.



Lily was quite pleased with the final product and I think it turned out quite well for her first official sewing endeavor. Note that the stitching does show on the top. If you are like my husband who quietly asked me privately later whether the hat was suppose to be that way or not...the answer is yes. The book never indicated for the student to turn it inside out so as not to show the stitching. Struck me as odd later on, but I think it's cute either way. I may try to gently guide her to maybe try it the other way for future hats.



Isn't it cute? I'm so proud of her for her diligence and patience in her first project.

I've already renewed the library book once, but may have to again. Plus, she doesn't know it yet, but I did already buy the book from Amazon for her birthday too.

We'll see what future products she can whip up and how long it holds her interest. I think it's a good skill to learn and master to some degree and I'd love to see her keep on creating.

Who knows, maybe there will be a seamstress in this household after all.









4 comments:

  1. She is so cute and proud of herself! Tell her I am an old married woman with lots of education and I still can't master sewing or knitting!!! Go Lily!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the hat Lily...Great Job!!!! You could make Christmas presents:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you're sewing with your daughter! I can't wait to do the same, especially with my little flibbety-gibbet who never ever wants to sit still.

    If Ma could make Laura do it, so can I!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, if you can, get a copy of Sewing with St. Anne. It's a lovely book with lovely projects. Maybe for Christmas Lily would enjoy a sewing basket. I gave my daughter one for her ninth birthday and she really treasures it.
    Lily did a great job on the hat!

    ReplyDelete

You're so kind for dropping me a line!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...