Monday, February 1, 2010
Notes From Saturday
On Saturday, I attended the local annual Women's Conference. It's an event I look forward to every year since I go with my mom and a number of friends.
Although I thoroughly enjoy it each year, I do have a few gripes. I wish that it weren't quite as long. This mama doesn't spend that much time in one day sitting on her fanny, so it's rather rough on the behind to stay alert and attentive all day long when the 'ol fanny is aching!
My other is that although the talks are wonderful and I gain a lot from them, I do wish there was maybe one less. I always run out of time to catch up with all of my old friends and acquaintances. There just is not enough time for breaks, lunch and small talk. We are women after all. We've got a lot to catch up on each year!
I didn't get nearly enough time to talk with dear Jamie or love on that dear Sweetie Pie (and if you're wondering, yes, Sweetie Pie is really THAT CUTE in person!!).
That aside, I've decided to post a few tidbits from my notes. (Hope this helps fill in what you missed, Jamie!)
*There is a difference between a life of affectivity and effectivity. Affectivity involves rest; effectivity involves unrest. How much time am I spending working on my effectiveness and not on being affective/affirming in my life? How do I live an affirming life?
* The forever to-do list in life, in motherhood creates plenty of ways to be effective, but the list and the things are always there to be done. How often do I start in one room and clean up room after room, only to begin all over again? It can wait until later/tomorrow. Instead, spend the time being affirming/affective with your children/family.
* Learn to just 'be'. Wherever it is, a room in your home, the garden, the park. Pick a place and just 'be'. Be aware of your surroundings and just sit in them. It's a lesson in being affective.
* Most often your husband and children are more than ready to let you women be god for them. They would like nothing better than for you to do everything for them and be everything for them! And honestly, don't you all try and be a god for them? Doing everything for everyone. Pleasing everyone all of the time. But when are you filled and taken care of?
*Be an authentic woman. Don't be afraid to be who you are. Be authentic to God in prayer. Be free to be who you are in God's presence (your prayertime). You cannot hide from Him. You don't need to paint everything beautiful and just come to Him acting like everything is fine...pretty your face, bring Him brownies, show Him only your best, etc. He's already seen who you are. He's seen your brokenness and sadness. He already knows you are not perfect.
* Four Ways to live as God's Beloved
1. Surround yourself with positive friendships where you are encouraged.
3. Be gentle with yourself.
4. Be an Affirmer - Be a Blesser.
These are just my tidbits from my notes/memory. There have been other reminders flooding my thoughts since Saturday, more thoughts for my own improvement. It was a blessed day for sure.
We did miss dear Shirley, but I know she was watching over all of us that day. Please keep her family in your prayers as they mourn the loss of their beloved wife and mother.