Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Prayer Request *update*

Earlier this month I asked for immediate prayers for a family member, but at that time I was unable to share more information. I am now able to share a little more with you and once again ask that you continue those prayers.

The prayer request was for my cousin, who is just a few months younger than myself. He is a physician who is working on finishing his residency at the Mayo Clinic. He is very intelligent. He is most humble. He is a husband and a father to two dear little boys. He is loved and supported by many. He has cancer.

Just over 7 years ago, the non-Hodgkin's lymphoma was diagnosed and was predicted to progress quite rapidly due to the amount there was in his body. It was decided that my cousin stood better odds by waiting it out, without drastic treatment. He did have some removals of small tumors and lymphs through the years, but no chemo or radiation. He continued to be watched and monitored and several times over these years we have been notified that certain tumors have become bigger. Through all of this, my cousin pressed on and continued with life and living each day to the fullest. It was only until this latest occurance that his fellow colleagues in his unit were told that he was sick. All of these years, he didn't even tell them. He worked the gruelling hours of residency and surgery and has done his best to be present with his family as much as he is able.

Earlier this month, he was hospitalized due to extreme pain he was having. The PET scan revealed that one of the tumors had grown to the size of a grapefruit. His cancer has become more agressive. He immediately began treatment through five different types of chemotherapy. Each with its own side effects and dangers.

So, I come to you today to again ask that you help me wrap your arms around him in prayer. Today, he will begin his second round of treatment. This is an especially difficult time with the holidays approaching, but also with the unsettled realities. My cousin and his wife are strong Catholics, in fact, she is a convert. Our family is filled with prayerful Catholics. And yet, we also realize that there is strength in numbers and the cloak of prayer from faithful prayer warriors is powerful.

Please continue to pray, especially today. Perhaps, if you can, again pray to Our Lady of Good Remedy. Thank you!









8 comments:

  1. Don't forget St. Peregrine-the patron saint of cancer patients! Your family is definitely in my prayers. I know from my parents how hard this dance with cancer is. God Bless you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear this news. Will definitely keep him and the family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, I will definitely be praying for your cousin and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry, Sarah. Sending many prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have been praying and will continue to pray. I have a prayer to St. Anthony for those afflicted with cancer. Very often he is my go to Saint! Love and prayers...neighbor Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for keeping those prayers coming! Invoke those favorite saints of yours and keep praying for a miracle!

    ReplyDelete

You're so kind for dropping me a line!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...